- this site has been set up to encourage Bible readers to look ever more closely and discover ever more powerfully the wonder of the Word of God.
- We share and discuss possible chiastic and other literary structures that careful Bible readers can discover for themselves. We do this not as academics in the field of Bible studies but as keen Bible students who have quite recently stumbled upon the awesome non-linear patterns of thought that give us a clearer understanding and richer appreciation of the beauty and power of the Word of God.
- The chiasms posted here have so far in the main been those discovered by ourselves and our friends in daily Bible reading and study. It is encouraging to see that several also appear in academic literature and websites, giving us some confidence that we are on the right lines.( I have added an asterisk* to posts where reference to academic articles or books are made either in the post or in a comment).
- However, the lists in this blog should be considered always to be work in progress put forward to stimulate personal Bible study and reflection. Please do not take them as definitive but check them for yourself before marking them in your Bible.
- Where I have thought it helpful I have included proposals from academic writers, and to avoid the impression of plagiarism I have given the source reference. Readers will understand that we are not thereby endorsing any particular doctrinal views held by these authors.
- This site is run by members of the Christadelphian community http://www.thechristadelphians.org.uk/ and has the endorsement of the Mumbles Christadelphian Ecclesia – http://www.thisisyourbible.com/mumbles.
Stephen Palmer – Administrator
5 thoughts on “Our Aim”
I appreciated your site. I too believe chiasms are remarkable and even at times help to interpret. I am newer to this than you, but I have been putting a collection together on perrydox.com under the tag “chiasm.” Feel free to check it out and critique when you see a better way.
Currently I am teaching an inductive Bible Study Course. A couple weeks ago we looked at this site with great interest and found a whole lot of fun. In class this last week, we logged on together and saw that we could click on a book name and see a list of references for chiasms. This let the students try their hand at figuring it out before actually viewing what was posted. Today however, one of my students notice the change of format. It was better before this change in formatting.
1 Corinthians 6:
A: Anyhow, the body is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord is for the body. Vs 13
B: Don’t you know that your bodies are parts of the Messiah? So, am I to take parts of the Messiah and make them parts of a prostitute? Heaven forbid! Vs 15
C: Don’t you know that a man who joins himself to a prostitute becomes physically one with her? Vs 16a
D: but the person who is joined to the Lord is one spirit. Vs 18a
C’: Run from sexual immorality! Vs 18a
B’: Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the fornicator sins against his own body.
A’: Or don’t you know that your body is a temple for the Ruach HaKodesh who lives inside you, whom you received from God? The fact is, you don’t belong to yourselves; vs. 19
A: your body – B: prostitute/fornicate – C: in stead of joining: RUN – D: one spirit with the Lord
I found this website on Google and I love it! But where can I submit the chiasms that I have found? I have found many over the years and I think many of them are not posted here.
If you have a variation on an existing post you can add your thoughts as a “Comment”. If you have a quite different posposal you can email me with it at [email protected]